There are many users who have used Excel Workbook for storing contacts and other information for a very long time, are now importing all the contacts in vCard file format. This vCard format is now popular among many users for storing contacts and other information in a standard format. The vCard file stores name, address, email, phone number etc. The user can try manual as well as an automated solution to convert XLS file to VCF (vCard) file format. The manual technique towards Excel to vCard conversion needs a skill that is to be performed whenever required.
Why Switch Towards vCard Format?
As we all know MS Excel is used for storing and managing a large amount of data, but storing contacts in Excel Workbook is now an old trend. The Excel file stores various contacts, but they cannot be shared separately through email or any other medium. On the contrary, if we talk about the vCard file format, it can store a single contact in the standard format which can be easily shared or get transferred over networks & computers. The vCard file is supported by various devices, be it online or offline email clients or all the popular platforms, it has successfully replaced the Excel Workbook for storing contacts.
Best Method to Convert XLS File to VCF VCF Using Third-Party Solution
The user can opt for an automated solution to easily convert XLSX file to vCard by trying SysTools Excel to vCard converter. This software easily export Excel Spreadsheet CSV / XLS / XLSX to vCard format. The software is capable to transfer all details from Excel sheet i.e name, email, phone number etc. It can also export XLT, XLSM, XLTX, XLSB workbook or template files to vCard format. The user can easily go for this utility to export Excel file to vCard without any data loss.
If in case the user wants to know the manual method for the same then they can read the below-mentioned section.
How to Convert Excel XLSX to vCard VCF File Manually
There is an easy and simple approach to convert XLS file to VCF format without using any third party solution. The manual trick is thus divided into three different parts:
- Excel to CSV Conversion
- Import contacts from CSV
- Export CSV contacts to vCard
Step 1: Excel File to CSV Conversion
The manual method starts with this conversion process. Traverse the steps that are mentioned below to convert XLS file to VCF via CSV conversion.
- Launch MS Excel (XLS or XLSX) on your PC which you want to convert it into CSV format.
- Click the Office button >> then, Save As >> Other Formats
- Now, define the location for new CSV file as well as provide the name. Select the type as CSV (*.csv). Click the Save button.
- A message will be shown if the selected Workbook contains multiple sheets. Click OK to save the active sheet.
- After that one more message will be displayed on the screen. Click Yes to keep the Workbook selected in the same format.
Step 2: Import Contacts from CSV File
Once the Excel Workbook has been converted into the CSV file format then, you have to import all the contacts from this new CSV file to convert XLS file to VCF. For this, all you need to do is to follow the below-mentioned steps:
- On the desktop, press Windows logo & then type contacts in the search box. Now, click Contacts under the program list.
- The contacts window will get opened on the screen. Click on the Import tab to import CSV contacts.
- A pop-up will appear showing Import to Windows Contacts. Select CSV option from the list & then click Import button to continue with the process.
- Choose the CSV file to import. Click the Browse option to locate the file.
- Now select the CSV file from which you want to transfer the contacts to your system. Click Open to confirm the file selection.
- The selected CSV file will now get listed in the edit box. Click Next to continue the process.
- All the text and the contacts field will be displayed here. Map them properly.
- Map all the fields in the same way. Once the complete mapping is done, click Finish to start the import Process.
Step 3: Export CSV Contacts to vCard (VCF)
As you have successfully imported all the contacts from CSV file to the system, so now you can export them to new vCard files. Follow the steps shown below:
- As the contact window is still opened on the system. Select all the contacts which you want to export to vCard files. Click the Export tab.
- A Window of Export Windows contact will pop-up. Select vCards option from that list & then click Export to continue the process.
- Now, select the location of the VCF export file. Create a new folder at any location. As you select the location, click OK to confirm it.
- In seconds, all the contacts will get exported to VCF files at the defined location. Click Ok.
There are various reasons to convert XLS file to VCF, one being the new trend to save the contacts in vCard (VCF) file format. Thus, this blog will highlight the methods on how to export Excel file to vCard without any data loss.